Friday, 14 April 2023
The ACCU 2023 conference is next week, running from 19th-22nd April 2023, in Bristol, UK.
This year I will be presenting "Designing for concurrency using message passing" on 22nd April. The abstract is:
One common way to design concurrent code with less potential for synchronization and other concurrency errors is to use message passing. In this talk, I will walk through the design of some example code, showing how to build such a system in practice
This talk will include a brief description of what message passing frameworks are, and how they can help avoid concurrency errors.
I will then work through some examples, showing how the tasks are divided between the elements, and how the system can therefore utilise concurrency, while insulating the application code from the details of synchronization.
I have recently been through my bookshelves and found old books I don't want any more. If you want any of them, let me know, and I'll bring them along. These are all free to a good home:
- C++ Templates: The Complete Guide, First Edition by Daveed Vandevoorde and Nicolai Josuttis (Addison Wesley)
- The C++ Standard Library Extensions by Pete Becker (Addison Wesley)
- Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu (Addison Wesley)
- C++ Primer 2nd edition by Stan Lippman (Addison Wesley)
- Learning XML by Erik T. Ray (O'Reilly)
- Unit Test Frameworks by Hamill (O'Reilly)
- Extreme Programming Adventures in C# by Ron Jeffries (Microsoft)
- Generative Programming by Czarnecki and Eisenecker (Addison Wesley)
- Find the Bug by Barr (Addison Wesley)
- DOS Programmer's Reference 3rd edition (MSDOS 5) by Dettman and Johnson (Que)
- Borland Turbo Assembler Quick Reference guide
- Oracle: The Complete Reference (for Oracle 7.3)
- Lloyds TSB Small business guide 2005
- Guide to Wave Division Multiplexing Technology
C++ Concurrency in Action, First Edition
I still have a small number of copies of the first edition of my book. If anyone wants these, I'll be selling them for £5 each. Let me know if you want one of these.
C++ Concurrency in Action, Second Edition
I'll also be bringing some copies of the second edition of my book. These will be for sale for £25 each. Let me know if you'd like one of these.
I look forward to seeing you there!